WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files stored on your device by a web browser (e.g Internet Explorer) that hold information about your previous visits to our site. On returning to our site this stored information is fed back to us allowing us to offer you a more personal browsing experience. By using our site you consent to cookies being used in accordance with our policy. For more information on cookies, visit the official ICO website at https://ico.org.uk/, http://www.aboutcookies.co.uk or http://www.whatarecookies.com.
WHAT DO COOKIES DO?
Cookies perform many different tasks within our website; however their key role is to remember your preferences so we can give you an improved service. If you've ever placed items in your basket, had to leave our site and returned later to find the items still in your basket, this is an example of one of our cookies in action. Cookies also ensure that any adverts you see online will be more relevant to your interests.
HOW DO COOKIES HELP WHEN YOU VISIT OUR SITE?
Cookies allow us to treat you as an individual; using knowledge gained from your previous visits and preferences we can tailor our site so that it is more personal to you, allows you greater interactivity and is easier to use.
Data relating to your favourites will be collected and made available to yourself and Sofology staff to assist your progress in feeling at home on a sofa you love. This data will also be anonymised and shared with third-part data analytics companies as part of Sofology's legitimate interest in the use of the website.
WHY ARE WE TELLING YOU THIS?
Recent legislation means EU law now requires website operators to ask for permission before using certain kinds of cookies. To ensure you are completely aware of the types of cookies we use and to enable us to continue to bring you the best possible shopping experience, we are giving you a detailed outline of the cookies we use and their unique role in your shopping experience.
How Can I Disable Cookies From Your Website?
It is possible to stop your browser accepting cookies from particular websites. However, disabling cookies from our site will mean you lose a lot of functionality, which will have a detrimental impact on your shopping experience and mean that you only have limited access to personalised areas of the site. Without access to the information on these cookies it is difficult for us to analyse the performance of our site. This is essential for us to continually improve our service.
Cookies are an essential part of how our site works and you will need to have cookies enabled to place an order. If you don't wish to enable cookies, you'll only be able to browse the site.
How to check cookies are enabled for PC
- Click ‘Tools' in the menu bar at the top of your browser and select ‘Internet Options'
- Click the ‘Privacy' tab and set the slider to medium to allow cookies
- Click on 'Tools' in the menu bar at the top of your browser and select ‘Options'
- Click the 'Under the Hood' tab, in the 'Privacy' section select the 'Content settings' button
- Now select 'Allow local data to be set'
- Click on 'Tools' in the menu bar at the top of your browser and select ‘Options'
- Select the ‘Privacy' Icon and click ‘Cookies'
- Select ‘Allow sites to set cookies'
- Click on the Cog icon at the top of your browser and select 'Preferences'
- Click on ‘Security'; check the 'Block third-party and advertising cookies' box
- Click Save
How to check cookies are enabled for Macs
- Click ‘Safari' at the top of your browser and select ‘Preferences'
- Select ‘Security' and ‘Accept Cookies'
- Select ‘Only from site you navigate to'
- Click ‘Firefox' button at top of browser and select ‘Privacy' panel
- Select ‘Firefox will' and select ‘Use custom settings for history'
- Check ‘Accept cookies from sites and ‘Accept third-party cookies'
- Select Keep until ‘they expire' and click ‘OK'
- Click ‘Explorer' at the top of your browser and select ‘Preferences'
- Scroll down to ‘Cookies' and select ‘Never Ask'
- Select ‘Menu' from top of browser and click ‘Settings'
- Select ‘Quick Preferences' and click ‘Enable Cookies'
We understand that privacy and the security of your personal information is extremely important. Because of that, this policy sets out what we do with your information and what we do to keep it secure. It also explains where and how we collect your personal information, as well as your rights over any personal information we hold about you.
This policy applies to you if you use our products or services in store, over the phone, online, or interacting with us on social media. This policy gives effect to our commitment to protect your personal information.
What sorts of information do we hold
- Information that you provide to us such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, email address, bank account and payment card details and any feedback you give to us, including by phone, email, post, or when you communicate with us via social media
- Information about the services that we provide to you (including for example, the things we have provided to you, when and where, what you paid, the way you use our products and Services, and so on);
- When reviewing your application for products and financial services offered by Sofology Ltd. we will take into account other information about you such as your employment details, financial position, information taken from identification documents, and details of cardholders;
- Your account login details, including your user name and chosen password;
- Your contact details and details of the emails and other electronic communications you receive from us, including whether that communication has been opened and if you have clicked on any links within that communication. We want to make sure that our communications are useful for you, so if you don't open them or don't click on any links in them, we know we need to improve our Services.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Finance providers namely Laser, V12 or Barclays for the purposes of credit fulfilment
- Find ways to improve our Services, stores apps and website;
- We may periodically send promotional emails or SMS about relevant products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address and/or mobile phone number which you have provided via trusted partners;
- Process your orders and payments;
- Personalise your shopping experience, for example by understanding your location or how you use our apps and websites to provide you with personalised offers or shopping ideas;
- Help us ensure that our customers are genuine and to prevent fraud;
- For statistical analysis;
- Help us understand more about you as a customer, the products and services you consume, the manner in which you consume them;
- Provide for the safety and security of our colleagues and customers; and
- Help answer your questions and solve any issues you have.
- We may use your phone number to verify order accuracy, book your delivery, inform you of delays, make payments and introduce relevant products and services.
- Contact you after visiting our stores or website in regards to your genuine interest in the products and services we offer.
Here at Sofology, we think it’s important that our customers get to choose exactly what communications they receive and how they like to hear from us. That’s why we’ve put everything you need to know about the information we hold in one place. We have detailed below exactly what systems we use to process your data and the reason why each of these systems has been put in place. You can view and/or make any changes to your marketing preferences at any time by visiting here:
Customers with a MySofology account can also access their preferences via their account.
Our service providers
We work with lenders so they can process your personal information on our behalf…but only where they meet our standards on the processing of data and security. We only share information that allows them to provide their services to us or to facilitate them providing their services to you.
We use a web-based platform called Intilery to hold our customer information and keep customers informed about important updates regarding their order(s) by email, text message, post and personalised messages in their MySofology account.
If you have placed an order with Sofology, we have a duty to keep you up to date with your order. As such, regardless of whether or not you have provided consent, you will be sent these important updates about your order and we will contact you in relation to this by post, email, SMS and/or by telephone.
If you have placed an order with Sofology and have also provided consent to receive marketing communications, you could be contacted by Sofology across email, SMS, telephone and/or post. You can choose what information you would like to receive from Sofology by controlling your preferences by visiting here:
If you have not placed an order with Sofology but have registered for a MySofology account and provided either your email address or have logged on using Facebook, we will use the information you have provided to contact you in relation to things such as; the products you have looked at (either in-store or on our website), items you have added to your ‘My Favourites’ list, or items you have added to your shopping basket. We use this information to let you know about things we think you will be interested in, to help you make the right decision when shopping for a new sofa, and to let you know about special offers and promotions.
Google provides Sofology with important information about the activity that takes place on the website and in-store, including the collection of data via advertising cookies and identifiers. Sofology makes use of Google Analytics Advertising Features including Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, and Google Analytics Demographic and Interest Reporting. Google also has the capability to identify some customers and show them personalised adverts. This only happens where a customer has provided their consent to receive these marketing communications and can be updated at any time in their Google settings. Customers can also opt-out of Google Analytics by using this Google tool.
Sofology works with Facebook to serve personalised adverts to people who use Facebook. If you do not want to see those adverts, you can choose not to see these by updating your advertising preferences within Facebook.
Sofology works with Stickyeyes, one of our Digital Agencies, to ensure that any adverts served to customers are relevant. Only customers who have opted in to receive marketing messages in personalised adverts will see these adverts. Customers can view and/or change their marketing preferences by visiting here http://sofology.intilery.com/forms/preferencecenter2018 or by visiting their MySofology account at any time.
Sofology works with this digital agency to help facilitate their marketing activity. This includes personalised adverts, sharing purchasing data to further understand our customers and making sure adverts we show to customers are relevant.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will retain a record of your personal information. This is done in order to provide you with a high quality and consistent service across our group. We will always retain your personal information in accordance with law and regulation and never retain your information for longer than is necessary.
Hotjar is a platform that monitors what customers do online and provides valuable information about how the website is used. Individual customer journeys can be replayed, however, individual customers cannot be identified.
The use of Optimizely allows Sofology to test different parts of the website to customers, gather those results and use this information to improve the experience for the customer.
Sofology works with Syntelate to make phone calls to customers to help them with their order. For example, this could be to help customers book a delivery as well as completing an order.
Communications and processing for operational purposes:
To ensure the smooth running of Sofology, we rely on working with a number of specially selected partners. Customer data is only processed for the purposes described below and shared according to GDPR standards.
As part of our commitment to continually improving our customer service, we ask our customers to review our products. This is currently done by our partner, Trust Pilot, sending an email invitation. Customers can also review their product by writing a review here: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sofology.co.uk. Sofology only passes the information necessary to Trust Pilot in a completely secure method to ask customers to review their experience.
Here at Sofology, we are dedicated to getting important feedback from our customers at a number of different stages throughout the buying journey. This information is critical to understanding more about our customers and we rely upon this feedback to improve the journey for customers. We invite customers to complete a short survey via Survey Monkey by email invitation. Survey Monkey only receives the information necessary to complete this specific task and store the results of that survey.
Intercom enables customers to ask questions to our Sofologists and/or access our extensive hub of knowledge. Customers can also raise service tickets for further assistance within this platform. As such, personal information is used to identify the customer and enable an online, email or telephone conversation between the Sofologist and the customer.
Mandrill sends an email to customers who have enrolled in-store. This email is an operational email to confirm the email address belongs to the person who has enrolled in-store and enables a customer to view and amend their basket and/or MyFavourites selections on any device, in-store, online or over the telephone.
Zendesk provides Sofology with the ability to communicate and track customer requests. It keeps a log of conversations between our Sofologists and customers as well as enabling us to process important requests between different areas of our business e.g. booking a visit by a technician. Most of the information that we hold in Zendesk is critical for Sofology to process your order or support customer orders should you need further assistance after your item(s) have been delivered.
Sofology also uses Zendesk to make contact with Customers who have indicated they would like to purchase an item e.g. by adding an item or items to their basket or by adding products to ‘MyFavourites.’ In these cases, customers may receive a phone call, text message or email from Sofologists to assist with their order.
Text messages about delivery updates to Sofology customers are sent from a system called Kapow. Only information necessary to complete this action is sent to Kapow.
Conversocial is an online platform that enables Sofology to both recognise and communicate with customers across all social media channels. We use this information to carefully monitor queries and ensure that the correct Sofologist is able to respond in a timely manner.
Keeping you informed about our products and services
We would like to tell you about the great offers, ideas, products and services of Sofology from time to time that we think might be relevant. Where you have consented to us doing so, we may do this through the post, by email, text message, telephone, online, using social media, push notifications via apps, or by any other electronic means.
We won't send you marketing messages if you tell us not to but we will still need to send you occasional service-related messages. If you wish to amend your marketing preferences, you can do so either logging into ‘My Account’ and following the directions or by calling our Customer Service Team.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
How can customers request further information or a change to their details, otherwise known as SARS (Subject Matter Requests)?
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
As part of GDPR, each customer now has the right to either request to see personal details held, amend/correct details held, have their details forgotten or ask for details to be erased. If you would like to request any of these actions, please complete a request by either emailing email@example.com or by writing to:
- Ashton Road,
- WA3 3UL
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.